Sesshin: to touch the heart-mind
Registration is now open for
Greater Boston Zen Center July Sesshin
Mercy by the Sea Retreat and Conference Center
167 Neck Road
Madison, CT 06443-0191
Jeff Kōgen Seul, Sensei
Julie Seido Nelson, Dharma Holder
Dear Sangha Friends,
We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for our summer residential retreat to be held July 28-31 at Mercy by the Sea in Madison, CT. The retreat begins with dinner on Thursday evening, July 28, and ends at 10:00am on Sunday, July 31.
Mercy by the Sea is situated on Long Island Sound and offers a strikingly beautiful setting for retreat. Delicious vegetarian meals are provided. Rooms are double occupancy with a private bath, or a bath shared with one other room. Linens are provided. (There will be no dorms, bunk beds, or need for sleeping bags.)
Attendees will need to provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test (not home test) within 72 hrs of arrival. We will remain masked in public spaces except when eating, and practice social distancing.
The total fee for the retreat is $375 for members and $425 for non-members. Financial aid is available if you are unable to pay the full fee. We do not want the cost to prevent anyone from attending. However, we do ask everyone to make some contribution no matter how small. Since not everyone will be able to afford the full amount, if you are in a position to pay more, your additional donation will help support a scholarship fund for those needing financial support.
Registration is limited to 16 for this retreat. We will accept registrations in the order in which they are completed (paid). If registrations exceed 16, we will place your name on a waitlist and notify you if there is a cancellation.
1. Please fill out this on-line form. It asks you for contact information, and about your retreat background, your preferences regarding a roommate, and your need for special accommodations or financial aid.
2. After you fill out the form, either:
- Return to this document, and go to this link to pay your fees (or what you can afford of them, if you are requesting financial aid) via PayPal or credit card. Please write "July sesshin" in the notes area that appears when you are ready to confirm your payment amount. If you are able to give an additional donation to the scholarship fund, please make a separate donation and note this amount as "Scholarship fund" in the notes area.
- If you prefer, you may mail a check made out to GBZC to: Cheryl Morrow, GBZC Treasurer, 5 Spring House Lane, Cumberland, RI 02864. (Please indicate on the memo line of the check:” July Sesshin.” If you are able, to make an additional donation to the scholarship fund, please note this amount as "Scholarship fund.")
Payment in full is required to complete your registration.
3. You will be notified by email of successful registration (or placement on the waitlist). Allow 5 business days for the check to arrive, if you pay by check.
Because the members' fee only covers room, board, and snacks, $375 of your payment is not tax deductible. The additional $50 for non-members and any donations to the scholarship fund are, like membership pledges, considered tax-deductible donations.
Payment, cancellation, and wait list policies:
● Priority will be given to early registrants.
● Registrations must be received by July 7.
● We request that you notify us as soon as possible if you need to cancel. Cancellations made by June 30 will receive a full refund. Cancellations by July 7 will receive a half refund. There will be no refunds after July 8.
● We will maintain a wait list (if necessary) until July 14. Then the list will be final.
Supporting you at this sesshin are:
Tanto (sesshin coordinator): Fran Ludwig
Assistant Tanto: Cheryl Morrow
Registrar: Julie Nelson
Assistant Registrar: Karen McCormack
Jeff Kōgen Seul, Sensei. Jeff Kōgen Seul is a Zen teacher and preceptor in the White Plum Asanga (the lineage of Taizan Maezumi, Roshi). He received Denbo transmission from Kevin Jiun Hunt, Roshi, in 2018. Jeff became part of GBZC’s predecessor sangha after moving to Cambridge many years ago to attend Harvard Divinity School. A practicing lawyer, Jeff is engaged in conflict resolution and peacebuilding work through the Peace Appeal, an international NGO, and he teaches at HDS as Lecturer on the Practice of Peace. Jeff lives in Boston with his wife, Esther Whitfield, and their two children.
Julie Seido Nelson, Dharma Holder. Julie Nelson is the Interim Spiritual Director of the Greater Boston Zen Center. She has practiced Zen for twenty years, and received Denkai transmission in May 2021. She teaches at the GBZC-Cambridge Tuesday evening sits and sometimes at the Saturday morning sits. Her writings on Zen can be found on her blog, and in Tricycle magazine.
If you have questions about registration and fees, please contact [email protected]. Questions about schedules and other on-site arrangements should be directed to t[email protected]. For questions to the teachers, contact the Spiritual Direction Committee at [email protected].
Those who register will receive more details about retreat observances, the schedule, and what to bring as our July sesshin approaches.
We hope to see you there!
With many bows,