Individual face-to-face teaching is one of the most powerful tools of the Zen tradition, and anyone who comes to GBZC is encouraged to take advantage of them. These private meetings are called dokusan (pronounced "doke-san") or sanzen or simply "interviews." The purpose of dokusan is to address the Great Matter, the matter of life and death, and of liberation amid our suffering.
These are opportunities to make a personal connection with one the BoWZ teachers, to bring your Zen practice into the realm of the interpersonal, or to ask any question you like about anything to do with Zen:
- your practice on or off your cushion
- bringing the teachings into your life
- the Precepts of skillful action
- the liturgy, especially anything that resonates with you, or confuses you or provokes you
- working with koans
- considering coming to a retreat
- anything you are struggling with spiritually
The teachers in Boundless Way Zen regard the interpersonal aspect of teaching to be exceptionally important.
Programs that include interviews are offered on:
- Saturday mornings at 9 AM
- the 1st, 3rd and 5th Tuesday evening of the month at 7 PM
- the 2nd and 4th Wednesday evening of the month at 7:15 PM
- the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month at 12:15 PM